W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > July to September 2010

Minutes: User Agent Teleconference for 19 August 2010

From: Kim Patch <kim@redstartsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:21:46 -0400
Message-ID: <4C6D763A.4090604@redstartsystems.com>
To: WAI-UA list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
From
HTML: http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html
Print: http://cgi.w3.org/cgi-bin/html2txt?url=http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html

- DRAFT -
*User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
19 Aug 2010*

See also: [3]IRC log
      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-irc

Attendees
   Present
          Greg, Gregory_Rosmaita, Jan, Jeanne, Jim_Allan, Kim_Patch,
          kford
   Regrets
          Jim
   Chair
          Kelly_Ford_Jim_Allan
   Scribe
          Kim

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Requirements for Keyboard Access in HTML5 (HTML A11y TF)
            Coordination
         2. [6]November F2F
         3. [7]UAAG review of ATAG last call document
            http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-ATAG20-20100708/
         4. [8]Writers Meeting Survey
            http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 19 August 2010

   <oedipus> kford, agendum addendum request: Requirements for Keyboard
   Access in HTML5 (HTML A11y TF) Coordination

   <oedipus> kford, agendum addendum request: Requirements for Keyboard
   Access in HTML5 (HTML A11y TF) Coordination

   <kford> Feel free to add your item to the agenda.

   <oedipus> agendum+ Requirements for Keyboard Access in HTML5 (HTML
   A11y TF) Coordination

   <oedipus> oedipus = Gregory J. Rosmaita

Requirements for Keyboard Access in HTML5 (HTML A11y TF) Coordination

   <oedipus> Keyboard Access Requirements Recommendation from PFWG:
   [10]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Access/pf_requirements

     [10] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Access/pf_requirements

   <inserted> scribenick: KimPatch

   <kford> scribe: Kim

   <oedipus> Access Key Replacement (HTML A11y TF wiki page)
   [11]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Access

     [11] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Access

   <oedipus> is accesskey irretrievably broken as an attribute?
   [12]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Talk:Access/access_key_requir
   ements

     [12] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Talk:Access/access_key_requirements

   <oedipus> proposed first draft of "Access Element: Enabling Generic
   Document Accessibility"
   [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010May/att-0020
   /access-element-20100519.html

     [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010May/att-0020/access-element-20100519.html

   <inserted> Oedipus: I want to get

   I want to get from you a sense of what's missing -- what I need to
   add to that discussion and that a plan to take to the HTML task
   force and when we have a complete list of requirements I'd like
   someone from this group to come to the HTML five task force so
   someone with a deeper knowledge of what the discussion has been is
   there.

   <kford> Oedipus: I need to get a sense of how your work fits with
   the other HTML5 work around access key and keyboard access.

   <kford> Oedipus: We need to then take this to the HTML5
   accessibility tf and get everything harmonized.

   Oedipus: I have a proposed first draft of the access element which
   is basically the same document which was vetted by this group as
   well as -- there's a process problem in moving access element toward
   any sort of public draft.
   ... I hope to salvage everything this group is working on on the
   access element
   ... HTML five drag-and-drop versus aria drag-and-drop. I need to get
   some momentum figure out what to discuss, then meeting

   Kelly: can we exchange e-mail on this over the next several days --
   could you initiate e-mail

   Oedipus: will repost

   <oedipus> Keyboard Access Requirements Recommendation from PFWG:
   [14]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Access/pf_requirements

     [14] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Access/pf_requirements

   Oedipus: when we first put out the requirements there was a bit of
   reaction and we should have come through this group first but I
   think we can move forward constructively and contiguously
   ... as far as taking this before the task force there is no hard
   deadline -- with longdesc and drag-and-drop things have been pushed
   back somewhat

November F2F

   <oedipus> XHTML2 and XForms have had virtual face2face meetings

   Kelly: no meeting in France but we want to have a meeting in
   November in some capacity to do something related to moving
   ourselves to last call

   <oedipus> XHTML2 and XForms just used IRC and Zakim

   <oedipus> as well as skype bridging

   <jeanne3> ACTION: jeanne to make a survey asking if a virtual
   meeting is acceptable and to take a poll of dates in November
   [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-426 - Make a survey asking if a virtual
   meeting is acceptable and to take a poll of dates in November [on
   Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-08-26].

   Kelly: survey to get consensus on virtual meeting and best possible
   times in November

   <oedipus> plus 1 for virtual f2f

   <oedipus> PFWG is planning a joint meeting with CSS WG at TPAC --
   could bring UAWG issues (if any) before CSS WG then

   <kford> zakim take up item 4

UAAG review of ATAG last call document
[16]http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-ATAG20-20100708/

     [16] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-ATAG20-20100708/

   Kelly: deadline is September 2.
   ... any volunteers that will commit to reading through ATAG-- I will

   Jim: I will -- important because we and they are unique amongst W3C
   guidelines -- and very closely tied.

   Kelly: if we bring our comments to the group that Thursday, send
   them the second or a day later

   <kford> ACTION: kford review atag and present to uaag by 9/2/2010
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-427 - Review atag and present to uaag by
   9/2/2010 [on Kelly Ford - due 2010-08-26].

   <kford> ACTION: Jim to review atag andpresent to uaag by 9/2/2010
   [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-428 - Review atag andpresent to uaag by
   9/2/2010 [on Jim Allan - due 2010-08-26].

Writers Meeting Survey
[19]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/

   <oedipus> [20]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/

   <oedipus> [21]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results

   <oedipus>
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq1

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq1

   <oedipus> 1.4.1 "Follow Specifications"
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq2

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq2

   <oedipus> Jan comment for q2: "The informative note seems very
   relevant to the normative SC...I suggest moving it to the
   guidelines."

   <jeanne3> ACTION-425 - Rewrite intent for 1.1.x include Jan's
   example. [on Jim Allan - due 2010-08-19].

   Jan: the success criteria -- the intent is normative, but the note
   is a pretty big exception, maybe it deserves to be normative, maybe
   success criteria needs to be rewarded to take this into account

   Kelly: if we did that in the conformance claim

   Jan: an exception seems odd in that totally informative section of
   the document

   Greg: makes sense

   <Greg> Something like "Render content according to the technology
   specification, except where they would actually harm, rather than
   improve, overall accessibility."

   <Greg> Something like "Render content according to the technology
   specification, except where it would actually harm overall
   accessibility."

   Kelly: any objections to giving Jeanne action to update the success
   criteria-- no objections

   <Greg> With that change the word "Note:" could be removed from the
   second paragraph of the Intent section.

   <jeanne3> ACTION: jeanne to update 1.4.1 to copy text in minutes to
   the SC and to remove the word "Note:" from the Intent. [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-429 - Update 1.4.1 to copy text in minutes
   to the SC and to remove the word "Note:" from the Intent. [on Jeanne
   Spellman - due 2010-08-26].

   <oedipus> handle unrecognized techs:
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq3

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq3

   1.4.2: handle unrendered technologies

   <oedipus> kim noted needs a "should" jan noted "maybe "fashions" =>
   "ways""

   <jeanne3> ACTION: Jeanne to accept proposal for 1.4.2 including the
   wordsmith changes in the survey #1 [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-430 - Accept proposal for 1.4.2 including
   the wordsmith changes in the survey #1 [on Jeanne Spellman - due
   2010-08-26].

   <oedipus> no objections

   Kelly: any objections to wordsmithing changes -- no objections
   ... wordsmithing changes

   1.4.3 Alternative content handlers

   <kford> group agrees with just minor edits.

   <jeanne3> ACTION: jeanne to update 1.4.3 with minor edits from the
   survey #1 [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-431 - Update 1.4.3 with minor edits from
   the survey #1 [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-08-26].

   3.1.3 Browse and Render

   <oedipus> 3.1.3 Browse and Render:
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq5

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802/results#xq5

   <oedipus> Greg L's comments on 3.1.3 "Just a very minor editorial
   suggestion: because the phrase "non-time-based media" is so
   cumbersome and foreign to many readers, it might help to put the
   meaningful examples in the main sentence and the technical term in
   the parentheses. For example reword Intent b from "There are times
   when a user cannot gain meaningful information from a non-time-based
   media element (images, charts, graphs, etc.)" to "There are times
   when a user canno

   Kelly: your comments make sense

   <oedipus> plus 1 to change

   Jeanne: I like it -- I like anything that makes it easier to process
   and improve cognition

   <jeanne3> ACTION: jeanne to update 3.1.3 with the editorial comments
   from the survey #1. [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action07]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-432 - Update 3.1.3 with the editorial
   comments from the survey #1. [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-08-26].

   <oedipus> Greg L comment continued: ""There are times when a user
   cannot gain meaningful information from images, charts, graphs, etc.
   (non-time-based media element)." and similarly for Intent a."

   <oedipus> [30]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802-2/

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802-2/

   <oedipus> [31]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802-3/

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802-3/

   <oedipus> [32]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802-4/

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100802-4/

   Kelly: Google document -- talk more about the implementation
   ... get that document to Gregory, then pick up the discussion

   <oedipus> FYI
   [33]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5

     [33] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5

   Kelly: priorities -- next week one hour on surveys and get through
   to them and spend 30 minutes on the uaag implementation that would
   be great, and ATAG next Thursday

   <oedipus> proposed text for ARIA in HTML5 spec section:
   [34]http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal
   .html

     [34] http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html

   Greg: keep in mind ATAG Doc is 41 pages

   Kelly: what the gut feeling on including ARIA in HTML5

   Oedipus: aria applies to any host language unless that host language
   explicitly forbids it for element x or attribute y

   Kelly: for those that want to give some time to ATAG I would one
   survey and ATAG.

   <Jan> bye

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to accept proposal for 1.4.2 including the
   wordsmith changes in the survey #1 [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to make a survey asking if a virtual meeting is
   acceptable and to take a poll of dates in November [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to update 1.4.1 to copy text in minutes to the
   SC and to remove the word "Note:" from the Intent. [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to update 1.4.3 with minor edits from the
   survey #1 [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: jeanne to update 3.1.3 with the editorial comments
   from the survey #1. [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jim to review atag andpresent to uaag by 9/2/2010
   [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: kford review atag and present to uaag by 9/2/2010
   [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-ua-minutes.html#action02]

-- 
___________________________________________________

Kimberly Patch
President
Redstart Systems, Inc.
(617) 325-3966
kim@redstartsystems.com

www.redstartsystems.com <http://www.redstartsystems.com>
- making speech fly

Blog: Patch on Speech
Twitter: RedstartSystems
___________________________________________________
Received on Thursday, 19 August 2010 18:54:49 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:49:39 UTC