From: public-html-a11y-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-html-a11y-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of John Foliot
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:07 PM
To: 'HTML Accessibility Task Force'
Subject: Media Requirements - 3.5 Discovery and activation/deactivation of
available alternative content by the user.

Discovery and activation/deactivation of available alternative content by
the user (13 comments)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements#Discover
y_and_activation.2Fdeactivation_of_available_alternative_content_by_the_user

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/20080526_media-requirements/results#xq15

** Comment/Recommendation: Request further clarification from UAAG. **

- (DAC-1)  The user has the ability to have indicators rendered along with
rendered elements that have alternative content (e.g. visual icons
rendered in proximity of content which has short text alternatives, long
descriptions, or captions).

		 An example of this is necessary for clarification

Jim: for video with captions - an example would be the player displays a
'cc' button that allows user to toggle captions, the 'cc' button is greyed
out or non-existent if the video has no captions. //

- (DAC-1)  In cases where the alternative content has different dimensions
than the original content, the user has the option to specify how the
layout/reflow of the document should be handled.

	Requires clarification - how does this relate to media?  Is this
not an authoring issue?

Jim: we discussed an example of hi-res/lo-res images that may be different
sizes. Or the user has the option of choosing the resolution of the video
stream to watch (a la youtube) and the video changes size. Then I was not
sure what the user options are for controlling layout. We used the example
of an 'image' element and how the text reflows. The UA does this
automatically. What specific (or example) user options were we thinking of
when we wrote this?   //

- (DAC-2) The user has a global option to specify which types of
alternative content by default.

	Agreed

	. and, in cases where the alternative content has different
dimensions than the original content, how the layout/reflow of the
document should be handled

	Requires clarification.  Is this not an authoring issue? How does
this impact on media (<Video>) which is not a 'document'?

Jim: <video> is part of a larger document. If the bounding rectangle changes
size on user action, the rest of the content should reflow as appropriate.
Then I was not sure what the user options are for controlling layout. We
used the example of an 'image' element and how the text reflows. The UA does
this automatically. What specific (or example) user options were we thinking
of when we wrote this?   //

-	(DAC-4) - Recommendation is to be removed, as it is redundant and
addressed elsewhere in the requirements document.

-	(DAC-5) - This is the same recommendation/requirement that the
User Agent already has for images.

-	(DAC-6) - Q: Does "cascade" refer to the same kind of list that is
configurable for Content-Language?  A: Yes

-	(DAC-7) - This capability will exist as part of the alternate
content selection controls.

-	(DAC-8)- Recommendation: Re-word this to say that "User Agents
must present a User preference/control to disable auto-play".

John Foliot / Eric Carlson