Re: Last weeks Action Item

On 14/04/2010 16:39, Simon Harper wrote:
> Hi there,
> So as normal I'm thrashing this about - and I wanted comments on wording
> - I expect the wording here to change but here goes:
>
> 4.7.x Location in Hierarchy: The user can view the path of nodes leading
> from the root of any content hierarchy in which the structure and
> semantics are implied by presentation, as opposed to an explicit logical
> structure with defined semantics (such as the HTML5 Canvas Element), or
> as a consequence of decentralized-extensibility (such as the HTML5 item
> / itemprop microdtata elements), and only if the user agent keeps an
> internal model of the hierarchy which it does not expose via the DOM or
> some other accessibility mechanism. (Level A).

Still trying to wrap my head around this, and picking up on that mention
of canvas: the ua itself wouldn't necessarily keep a standardised
hierarchy of what happens inside canvas. All the UA knows is that it's a
canvas and what the state of each pixel in that canvas is. It's the
developers who will build/keep whatever structures they need in their
scripts. These will be non-standard and specific to each
site/script/developer. I'm not sure how the UA could expose these in any
sort of meaningful way, or even identify which of the data structures
kept by any given script represent what the developer uses to keep track
in their script of what goes on the canvas. Is it then not the duty of
the developer (i.e. WCAG domain) to make sure that this info is somehow
exposed in a standardised way?

Patrick H. Lauke

Web Evangelist
Developer Relations Team