W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 2009

Re: ACTION-251 - Revised 4.9.6

From: Markku Hakkinen <markku.hakkinen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:23:44 -0500
Message-ID: <3dcaabaf0912031923x65a3b8b6hfb25c4de43c6770a@mail.gmail.com>
To: Greg Lowney <gcl-0039@access-research.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
I'd prefer to leave playback in title because I can envision programmatic
rate adjustments taking place at points other than at playback time; let's
keep the focus on playback.

Your suggested changes on commas and "should" usage  are good. Let's go with
those.

On re-reading, I think the word "prevent" in the second bullet is too
absolute. Some degradation in speech quality may occur at the extremes of
the range, and while the speech will be understandable, a listener may
describe the quality as degraded.  I would suggest "limit" rather than
"prevent". Other suggestions are welcome.

Here is the revision:

4.9.6 Playback Rate Adjustment for Prerecorded Content.

The user can adjust the playback rate of prerecorded audio and/or video
content, such that all of the following are true (Level A):

- The user can adjust the playback rate of the audio and/or video tracks to
between 50% and 250% of real time.

- Speech whose playback rate has been adjusted by the user maintains pitch
in order to limit degradation of the speech quality.

- Audio and video tracks remain synchronized across this required range of
playback rates.

- The UA provides a function that resets the playback rate to normal (100%).


mark

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Greg Lowney <gcl-0039@access-research.org>wrote:

> I thought "Playback" implied prerecorded (and similarly, you could cut
> "Playback" as it would be implied by "Rate Adjustment for Prerecorded
> Content"), but I'm fine either way.
> Two additional thoughts on the actual wording.
>
> First, I think the commas in the second bullet are incorrect. You use
> commas when elaborating on the noun but not when qualifying scope, as in the
> difference between "Users, who are blind, can..." vs. "Users who are blind
> can...".
>
> Second, three of the bullets use "should" in a way that none of the other
> SC do. To be consistent with the rest of the document we could replace
> "should be able to" with "can" and "should provide" with "provides" or
> equivalents.
> That would give us something like:
>
>
> 4.9.6 Playback Rate Adjustment for Prerecorded Content.
>
> The user can adjust the playback rate of prerecorded audio and/or video
> content, such that all of the following are true (Level A):
>
> - The user can adjust the playback rate of the audio and/or video tracks to
> between 50% and 250% of real time.
>
> - Speech whose playback rate has been adjusted by the user maintains pitch
> in order to prevent degradation of the speech quality.
>
>
> - Audio and video tracks remain synchronized across this required range of
> playback rates.
>
> - The UA provides a function that resets the playback rate to normal
> (100%).
>
>
>
> -------- Original Message  --------
> Subject: ACTION-251 - Revised 4.9.6
> From: Markku Hakkinen <markku.hakkinen@gmail.com>
> To: UAWG list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
> Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:23:23 -0500
>
> ACTION-251 Include greg, jan comments and title change for 4.9.6
>
> I made the changes, but did not simplify the title as Greg suggested,
> as I think the title should be clear as to rate adjustment applies
> only to prerecorded content.
>
> Revised text:
>
> 4.9.6 Playback Rate Adjustment for Prerecorded Content.
>
> The user can adjust the playback rate of prerecorded audio and/or
> video content, such that all of the following are true (Level A):
>
> - The user should be able to adjust the playback rate of the audio
> and/or video tracks to between 50% and 250% of real time.
>
> - Speech, whose playback rate has been adjusted by the user, should
> maintain pitch in order to prevent degradation of the speech quality.
>
> - Audio and video tracks remain synchronized across this required
> range of playback rates.
>
> - The UA should provide a function that resets the playback rate to
> normal (100%).
>
>
>
>
Received on Friday, 4 December 2009 03:24:12 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:49:38 UTC