Re: The Canvas 2D API 1.0 Specification

Hi there Richard,

I think that I agree about your statement that 'Canvas is doable' but
reading the wiki supports my own view that it is doable with lots of
caveats and also with lots of premise / pre-assertions.

I worry when I read the wiki comments that
1) It seems that we are assuming that people who build sites are
trained developers (who understand procedural code) and that these
developers will therefore use toolkits; and
2) That these developers will start to add extra information, not
specified directly in html5 canvas and not required for an html5
canvas to execute visually correctly.

It seems that html5 lead and aria is then shoehorned into suggesting
that accessibility is possible if the web developer jumps through a
number of hoops; which they are never really likely to.

I really hope I'm wrong about this - but web creators don't even
manage to create a table 'summary'. It seems to me that just as
people are specifying the 2d api canvas, why then cannot pf attempt
something like a canvas accessible interaction api / gui api so that
accessibility is built in from the start and not an after thought?

Cheers
Si.

Simon Harper
University of Manchester (UK)