[Fwd: Re: W3C Access for All]

Forwarded from Andy Heath:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: W3C Access for All
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:44:41 +0100
From: Andy Heath <andyheath@axelrod.plus.com>
To: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
CC: UAWG list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>,	Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>

Hi Jan,

I don't know whether this will reach the UAWG list,
which I think is read-only for me.
You might want to forward it for me.

The reason is because when one is matching resources to
the context one needs to match to both personal preferences
AND device properties - this is particularly the case if
you want (as we do) content to be deliverable across
desktop and mobile devices alike.

The reference below does give the general idea
but is a little behind where we are at with this.
We have an ISO standard - Individualized Adaptability and
Accessibility for eLearning, Education and Training but
its availability is tied up in ISO formatting/publication processes
just at the moment.  Jutta worked on this too.  And we are working
to integrate that and our update of it in IMS AccessForAll 2.0
(draft is in edit) with the Device Context Ontology.  In ISO we
are working to integrate it with the best Metadata efforts
in town.

It is correct also that personalisation does go beyond
accessibility and in *some* areas the principles are similar.

Hope this helps.

Andy Heath
A.K.Heath@open.ac.uk
AndyHeath@axelrod.plus.com