Re: User Agent Teleconference for December 7 2006

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:46:18 -0500
To: WAU-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>

> Jan wrote:
>> 11.2 Current author input configuration (P2)
>> - OK, but I find the phrasing "author-specified input configuration"
>> preferable to "author input configuration"
>
> JA: I agree. more accurate
>
>> 11.3 Allow override of bindings (P2)
>> - likely to cause even more problems with accesskey but that's probably
>> unavoidable.
>
> JA: this is not related to author-specified input bindings. it is related to
> the UA interface.

JR: Right but author may have "designed around" the keystrokes used by
major browsers.

>> 11.4 Single-key access (P2)
>> - I think this could be read as meaning single key bindings must be
>> possible: "Allow the user to override any binding in the user agent
>> default keyboard configuration with a binding to either a key plus
>> modifier keys or to a single key."
>> - Maybe put "single-key binding" on the glossary instead of defining it
>> here.
>
> JA: Disagree. I think the 'or' provides options for UA developer. There has
> to be a keyboard interface 1.1, checkpoint 11.4 is saying allow the user to
> simplify the keys used.

I think that's what we mean, but I just thought it was a bit unclear -
maybe we could say:

"Allow the user to override any binding in the user agent
default keyboard configuration with a NEW binding to either a key plus
modifier keys or to a single key, PROVIDED UNUSED KEYS ARE AVAILABLE."

Cheers,
Jan