RE: UAAG techniques for checkpoints 1 and 2 - comments

Cathy Laws wrote:

> Here are a couple of comments about some of the techniques for UAAG
> Checkpoints 1 and 2:
>
> Under 1.2 Activate event handlers, we reference DOM Level 2 but not DOM
> Level 3, which now has descriptions for text events and keyboard
> events. We
> even have a reference about DOM Level 2 not having a key event, which we
> need to replace with a DOM Level 3 reference.

I agree with the DOM 3 references.
Should we reference other APIs, such as accessibility APIs??

> Under 1.3 Provide text messages, we need to add a technique about allowing
> non-essential alerts and text messages to be optional (turned off by the
> user if desired).

sounds interesting. What is a non-essential alert? How is the UA to
determine what is essential?
Many UA are including icons in the status bar to indicate security, etc.
Others include icons in the address bar that indicate (visually) the
presence of an RSS feed. I have not a screen reader announce the icon or its
functionality.

I think a non-visual user should have information about these content and
feature indicators.

> Under 2.1 Render content according to the spec, we need to expand the
> Example 2 technique about dynamic content changes. Users need to have an
> option to know when content has changed and where the changes are in
> additional to having access to the changes when they happen to navigate to
> the content that has changed.

Right, this falls into the accessibility issues with AJAX

Jim