Re: W3C User Agent Teleconference for 15 December 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:34:55 +1100, Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu> wrote:

> Please send RSVP or additional agenda items to the list.

Likely regrets. I am in Australia where that is not a civilised hour
(given that I have to work late in the evening to keep up with Europe).

> Agenda
> New Topics:
>  1. Review issues related to UAAG and SVGT from message
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Dec/0021
>  What is UAWG response?

 from their message:

[[[
Regarding your comment on the standardization of the equivalence of
keyboard events, we feel that this is something that different user
agents will need to map differently - i.e., it should be user agent
dependent.  As such, we don't feel that it should be standardized,
particularly in the SVG Tiny 1.2 spec.
]]]

I don't think that leaving this for user agents is enough. The spec must
be clear that there are real problems where authors use mouse-based events
that cannot be fired by the keyboard or vice versa, since while User
Agents *may* do something to alleviate the problem there is no
specification they can follow, and no guarantee that they do it in any
case.

>  2. SVG (embedded object) related topic: Scenario: have a page with
> embedded
> svg, user cannot focus on svg in browser using the keyboard (svg object
> is
> not focusable), so user cannot use any commands or functions available
> within svg object.

This is an issue on the Compound Document Formats work really, not SVG
itself.

Cheers

Chaals

--