Re: Draft comments on XHTML 2.0 Working Draft

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 12:38, Jon Gunderson wrote:
> The following page is Jon Gunderson initial set of comments on the XHTML
> 2.0 31 January 2003 working draft.
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2003/02/xhtml2-comments.html
>
> We can talk about this at tomorrows UA teleconference.

Hi Jon,

As I may not be able to attend, I'll make a few comments on
yours, which I thought were good.

1) Add definition for "selected". UAAG 1.0 works hard to
   distinguish focus from selection. I am wary of any definition
   of "selected" that includes "focus". In general, I think we
   need to work with the HTML WG on their focus and selection
   models.

2) I recommend augmenting each of your points with a reference
   to the UAAG 1.0 checkpoint that backs it up.

3) 8.9 heading elements. Yes to outline view, but
   navigation should be possible for "important elements."
   What will help us is if the HTML WG identifies the "important
   elements" for navigation in its spec. That will make
   a good fit with UAAG 1.0 requirements.

4) 11.1 AREA element.

   I prefer to delete AREA entirely, in favor of a rich
   content model where A elements (or "anything" in XHTML 2.0)
   can be links with associated regions.

5) I'm not sure I understand "Users should be notified
   of the availability of forward and reverse links." I am
   not sure why notification is required. What checkpoint
   drives this one?

   "Users should be able to activate [these] links."
   Upon configuration?

6) User preferences. Are your comments about other
   software inheriting preferences?

   For "some types of OBJECT content"; UAAG 1.0 supports
   that if it's specifically audio, video, and animations.
   I recommend being specific.

7) The table rendering algorithm of xhtml 2.0 is not
   normative; I suspect a linear algo would not be
   normative either.

   I think the user should be able to configure which
   content to use for headers.