RE: Problem with focus following frames in IE

Upon further reading of UAAG, Checkpoint 5.1 has a title ""No Automatic
Content Focus Change. (P2)." This is informative.

The specifics  or normative requirements of 5.1 are
1. Allow configuration so that if a viewport opens without explicit user
request, neither its content focus nor its user interface focus
automatically becomes the current focus.

Sufficient techniques

1. To satisfy provision one of this checkpoint, configuration is
preferred, but is not required if the content focus can only ever be
moved on explicit user request.

======

I believe the focus of this checkpoint was pop-up windows. Frame content
within a single browser instance is not a pop-up window.

If IE followed 5.1 there would be a configuration option to allow
movement at user request, or consistent behavior of no movement.

IE behavior
    a link is activated the focus moves to the new content(page) within
the same browser instance (this works), or
    a link is activated the focus moves to the new content(page) in a
new browser instance (this works), or
    a link is activated the focus moves to the new content (page) within
a pane the same browser instance (this does not occur!).

This is inconsistent. They should all work or none should work.
To me, navigating within a frame environment is the same as navigating
within a single page following a link to a "name" anchor.

 Jim