Fw: netrik was ( lynx-dev latest status on java script support? )

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin McCormick" <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 12:33 PM
Subject: netrik was ( lynx-dev latest status on java script support? )

Has anyone gotten netrik to work?  netrik is a new text
browser which is free and open-source.  You can read about it at

http://netrik.sourceforge.net/

It has limited javascript support and will run in a text
environment like lynx.

Now for the bad news, at least so far.  I have access to
two different UNIX platforms.   One is Debian Linux and the other
is FreeBSD.  The readme file with netrik says that it is designed
to build on gnu linux systems.  One should just type make and it
will go.

Well, on the FreeBSD system, it complains about 2 lines
in the makefile not having arguments that they need.

On the linux system, it says:

cc -g -Wall  -DDEBUG -DREADLINE '-DWGET_CMD="wget -nv -O- %s"'   -c -o
main.o main.c
main.c:16: curses.h: No such file or directory
main.c:22: readline/history.h: No such file or directory
main.c:23: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

That error I understand in that I am missing a library
containing the files that are listed as missing.  The make file
has an option to build on Solaris which is similar to FreeBSD so
I tried that but with no luck either.  Make just complained about
the same two lines needing arguments.

I have a feeling this is about to compile but I have
either failed to set an environment variable or that I need to go
get a library somewhere that contains the correct headers.

This project sounds like the folks who are working on it
are headed in the right direction so I am certainly willing to be
patient and find out why it isn't compiling right now.

The current version appears to be netrik-0.7.1.tar.gz

I would certainly like to see it run and play with it a
bit andfind out whether it might read some of our
javascript-infested web sites we have here.  They are not
terribly complex or special except that they use javascript to
set up the links and onclicks to tell the sites what link you
want.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations
Group