Re: [Please review] Revised IPR section of UAWG charter

IBM has not yet resolved the issue with the IPR section. Arnaud is to
follow up with Ian again.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM Accessibility Center
Research Division
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost

                      Al Gilman
                      <asgilman@iamdige        To:       "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
                      x.net>                   cc:       w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [Please review] Revised IPR section of UAWG
                      w3c-wai-ua-reques         charter
                      t@w3.org

                      02/23/2002 11:18
                      AM

This message does not indicate an objection to the language offered,
per_se.

Alternate language is offered as a possible improvement in the exposition.

The alternative offered does not make, as I understand it, any substantive
change in the charter as compared with the immediate prior proposal.

Al

Proposed alternative language:

The intention in chartering this group is that the products of this working
group be implementable without incurring royalty obligations.  To this end,
it will operate as described in the W3C <a href="
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-patent-practice-20020124">Current Patent
Practice</a> (24 January 2002).

Under existing W3C Process requirements, Working Group participants
disclose patent claims by sending email to <patent-issues@w3.org>.  This
disclosure is defined in the W3C <a href="
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/">Process Document</a>, and discussed
further under the Current Patent Practice Note cited above.

Patent policy is an active area of current work within the Consortium.
Future steps taken by the Consortium to clarify patent policy and practice
may require some clarification of this aspect of this charter, but should
not alter the basic goal for this group of producing technology which is
readily implementable on a royalty-free basis.

Note(1):  The cited Current Patent Practice only defines how a Royalty Free
WG works, so it is not necessary here to confuse people with an unnecessary
Term of Art.  One doesn't have to look up Royalty Free Working Group in the
Current Patent Practice to find the right process description.  It's the
whole document.  Besides, if you try to string search for "Royalty Free
Working Group" you lose.  You have to search for "Royalty Free (RF) Working
Group."  The phrase is only used once, and never without the embedded
symbol definition.  See Aside(3) below.

Note(2):  While the direct reference to the Process Document is not a
substantive change because the Current Patent Practice does make it clear
that that is what defines the disclosure rules, because the Process
Document is a "higher status" document than the Current Patent Practice
Note, it is good to make the fact that this is part of the pre-existing
requirements and not something introduced by the Current Patent Practice
itself.  To this end, the original publication defining this requirement
should be directly cited here and not leave the reader to have to read the
intervening lower-status document to understand this.

So there is not a substantive change, in that the requirements on how the
Working Group operates either way are the same.  But this brings the
exposition in the charter more in line with best practice for writing
formal normative writs: specifications and charters.

Aside(3):  One of the things that I have learned lately is that some
browsers [and redirects in HTTP] still don't implement #fragment references
correctly.  To work around this, the language of a citation, either in the
link text or in the obvious context thereof, should provide a text string
which succeeds when used as a string-searching key to get you to the right
place within the document identified by the URI without the #fragment.

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2002Jan/thread.html#6

-- immediate prior proposal