Re: Establishing minimal set of information requirements for UA/AT communication

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for sending this information. I have a couple of
comments and questions below.

  - Ian

Catherine Laws wrote:

> Here is a list of information requirements that I believe need to be met to
> implement an AT like Home Page Reader:
>
> 1. For each element (DOM node) as well as at the page and frame level, be
> able to:

[snip]

> - Determine it's containing structure (form, table, frame, page, etc)

Can you define containing structure? Does this mean:

  * The element whose semantics is to group a number of descendant
    elements?

  * The rendering of an element that, in two dimensions, encloses
    some other content?

In short: can this be determined from the markup language alone?

[snip]

> 3. Ability to find the process/window for and place keyboard focus on an
> embedded object or applet.

The binding between process and window is something that is likely
done at the OS level. In UAAG 1.0, we talk about "viewports".

> 4. The information and events from the APIs and DOMs must reflect the web
> document displayed (i.e. both must include error correction or not).
>
> 5. Ability to select/highlight text, controls, and images at character
> offsets programmatically like you can select with a mouse.

UAAG 1.0 doesn't require any particular type of selection; it can
be text-only or text-and-images, etc. Our requirement is that,
whatever the selection encompasses, that information be available
through the API.
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447