From: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@comcast.net>
Cc: "Jon Gunderson" <jongund@uiuc.edu>; <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: Part II: Issues raised during Mac IE evaluation of UAAG 1.0

David Poehlman wrote:

> some ats will still need a cue other than color such as a border or
> style change to make a distinction.

I don't think we should promote that technique since we are
requiring that information about selection, focus, etc. be
available through APIs. The definition of priority does not include
"ATs may need information this way", it's only about user needs.

> then there is also the issue of
> those who have trouble with the meaning of color who will find better
> guidance with style/border etc.

I don't believe this checkpoint was every meant to help people
who might have trouble with the meaning of color, only with
the perception of color. I have no recollection of discussions
about accessibility issues related to the interpretation of
specific graphical mechanisms. I don't doubt that there are
such issues, but I don't recall that entering into our discussion
about the use of colors.

In short, I only recall discussing the needs of users
with color deficiencies, and those needs are met by
the ability to change color combinations.

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447