Re: Enumeration of EventListeners in DOM Level 3 Events

Ian and Philippe,

Fantastic!

From an authoring tools perspective this is very useful. It allows a
content developer to programmatically exercise the listeners individually
so this has advantages to disabled as well as non-disabled users.

From a disabled user perspective, the input device used to simulate the
activate of each listener may be voice recogntion or some other specialized
input device such as an onscreen keyboard combined with:

   big switch
   specialized keyboard (Don Johnston)

Assistive technologies such as HPR could enumerate the listeners and allow
the user to select which one to activate. This would aid with users
creating web sites as well as accessing them. From a UI perspective a
pop-up window showing the available functions to be executed in response to
each event could be activated allowing the user to hear and speak which one
to be activated ... and then of  couse activate the appropriate one.

If the WCAG group could do more with Script (require addition of function
descriptions) it would be nice to have the ability to store the function
description executed in response to a given event in which case a script
developer could create a function description for those functions executed
Currently DOM 3 is limited to providing the type definition. ... Perhaps
for DOM 4 we could add this.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM Accessibility Center
Research Division
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost

                    "Ian B. Jacobs"
                    <ij@w3.org>           To:     Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
                    Sent by:              cc:     w3c-wai-ua@w3.org, www-dom@w3.org
                    w3c-wai-ua-requ       Subject:     Re: Enumeration of EventListeners in
                    est@w3.org             DOM Level 3 Events

                    12/10/2001
                    10:36 AM

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-DOM-Level-3-Events-20010823/events.html#EventTarget-eventListenerList

> However, we are still not convinced on how this new property
> is useful for Authoring Tools and would like to see some use cases.
>
> See also [1] for an other proposal.

Thank you, Philippe. I'll try to gather some use cases.

 - Ian

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2001JulSep/0299.html

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447