From: w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Charles McCathieNevile
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 7:42 AM
To: Denis Anson
Cc: 'Ian Jacobs'; w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Subject: RE: March 9 Draft of UAAG

I think Denis' point is that the requirement for keyboard support
includes the API requirement, and that this should be reflected a little
more clearly in the introductory material.

I agree with such a suggestion (maybe that's why I interpreted it like
that <grin/>

It would also be good to explain in the techniques for 1.1 and 6.7 that
many users will interact with the browser through devices that make use
of keyboard APIs.

cheers

Charles McCN

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Denis Anson wrote:

  > user interface with the keyboard, through voice input, a head wand,
  > touch screen, or other device. [DA: In this context, a head-wand is
  > means of accessing the keyboard, and a touch screen is generally a
  > mouse emulator, so these examples are actually just restating mouse
  > and keyboard.  Why not consider input methods there that do not rely
  > on standard mouse and keyboard presence: such as Morse Code or
  > single-switch scanning. ]

  IJ: The introduction ("Known limitations of this document") explains
  that this document "only includes requirements for
  keyboard, pointing device, and voice input modalities.

  DA: My point is that Morse Code and Single Switch scanning access the
  browser via the keyboard interface.  That is why it's important to
  distinguish between the physical keyboard and a keyboard API: these
  alternative access techniques generate characters, and you need to
have
  a keyboard interface to access the browser using such technologies.

--
Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61
409 134 136