From: w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Ian Jacobs
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 12:17 PM
To: Denis Anson
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Subject: Re: March 9 Draft of UAAG

Denis Anson wrote:

> Some comments on the current draft, in preparation for the meeting.

Hi Denis,

Thank you for these comments (most of which we addressed at
the 15 March teleconf [1]). Some comments preceded by IJ: below.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0427

> Abstract:
> By following these guidelines, developers will create more usable
> software for all Web users. [DA: Actually, only for users of the
> browser in question.  Web authoring guidelines improve access for
> anyone who accesses a page, but UA guidelines only help those using a
> specific user agent.  What we really mean is that following the
> guidelines will improve access for all uses of the user agent,
> including those with disabilities.]

IJ: I disagree with your interpretation (though I take note of it). Our
intention is to say: "Accessible design is good design, so if you meet
these requirements, you will also benefit a larger
audience than just users with disabilities."

DA: That part is what I caught, but as worded it seems to say that it
doesn't make any difference what user agent you are using, all users
will benefit.  Actually, all users of the compliant user agent will
benefit, but not all users of the web.

> Guideline 1:
>
> People who cannot or do not use a mouse have to be able to operate the

> user interface with the keyboard, through voice input, a head wand,
> touch screen, or other device. [DA: In this context, a head-wand is a
> means of accessing the keyboard, and a touch screen is generally a
> mouse emulator, so these examples are actually just restating mouse
> and keyboard.  Why not consider input methods there that do not rely
> on standard mouse and keyboard presence: such as Morse Code or
> single-switch scanning. ]

IJ: The introduction ("Known limitations of this document") explains
that this document "only includes requirements for
keyboard, pointing device, and voice input modalities.

DA: My point is that Morse Code and Single Switch scanning access the
browser via the keyboard interface.  That is why it's important to
distinguish between the physical keyboard and a keyboard API: these
alternative access techniques generate characters, and you need to have
a keyboard interface to access the browser using such technologies.