[Proposal] Activation of placeholders [Was: Raw minutes from 15 March 2001 UAWG teleconference]

Ian Jacobs wrote:

> 15 March 2001 UA Guidelines Teleconference

[snip]

About checkpoint 3.7 (Turning off images)

> Action IJ:
>
>  * Add to techniques to show images "temporarily" and when you
>    leave the image, it goes away.

In the 9 March 2001 draft [1], checkpoints 3.2 and 3.7 both
include this sentence:

   "When placeholders are rendered, allow the user
    to activate each placeholder individually and
    replace it with the original author-supplied content."

Based on our discussion during the teleconference that it
was also ok to have the user agent render the original
content "temporarily" in another viewport, I propose
not to state this in the techniques, but to change
the checkpoint text to allow this:

   "When placeholders are rendered, allow the user
    to view the original author-supplied content
    on activation of each placeholder."

Then, in the techniques document, state:

   "When a placeholder is activated, the user agent
    may render the original content in context or in another
    viewport."

I intend to include this text in the next draft, for there
was agreement at the teleconference that this was acceptable
behavior. If there are disagreements, please indicate whether
you disagree with the substance (i.e., rendering in another
viewport does not satisfy the user need) or the proposed text.

Thank you,

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010309/