From: w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Ian Jacobs
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 11:58 AM
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Subject: [Clarification] "Single key means single physical key"

Hello,

In the 9 March 2001 UAAG 1.0 [1], we refer to "single key" bindings in
checkpoint 11.3 (we also refer to "modifier keys"). I think we need to
clarify that this refers to actual physical keys on a keyboard, not
signals sent by the hardware. The accessibility requirement involves
limited physical movement.

I would also note that I do not believe that there are any
internationalization issues here. On systems where a user must use
several keystrokes to compose a single (abstract) character, we still
want single-physical-key access for users.

Therefore I propose clarifying in checkpoint 11.3 that when
we talk about "keys" we are referring to physical keys.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010309/