Re: Software tools for captioning

Thanks, Geoff.
----
hi, harvey:

for actual editing of captions-- that is, writing, timing, placing, etc.--
there's currently only one application:  magpie v 1.0.  (by the way, v 2.0
will be released in early summer and will be for both mac and pc.)  the
only other option is to author by hand using a text editor like notepad or
simpletext.

in a smil/realtext presentation, magpie's default is to place the caption
region immediately below the video region:  that is, it calculates the
height of the video region and then sticks the caption region right
below.  the author could manually reposition the caption region by editing
the smil file, however.  the user has no control over the position of the
caption region.

in a quicktime presentation, magpie will generate a caption track which the
author then must drag and drop wherever it belongs-- top, bottom, side,
etc.  the user *can* move the caption region around, too, if the movie is
downloaded first and if he/she has quicktime pro.

in a windows media player presentation, the caption region is always
located immediately below the video region.  the author and the user have
no control over this as it's a WMP default.

i'm happy to help with the multimedia area of the UA guidelines, so just
let me know when you need me to do something.  and let me know if you have
other questions, too!

thanks for the note.
geoff/ncam