Re: Client-side redirection is timed input

Greg Lowney wrote:

> In today's conference call we discussed whether checkpoint 3.6 ("Allow
> configuration so that an author-specified 'client-side redirect'...does not
> change content except on explicit user request") should be raised from
> priority 2 to priority 1.
>
> It seems to me that a user agent must already allow the user to override the
> timing of auto-redirection in order to comply with checkpoint 2.2. The
> latter reads "For a presentation that requires user input within a specified
> time interval controlled by the user agent, allow the user to configure the
> user agent to pause the presentation automatically and await user input
> before proceeding", and it is priority 1.
>
> In fact, it seems that client-side redirection is in fact just an example of
> "a presentation that requires user input within a specified time interval
> controlled by the user agent", and therefore 3.6 is just a special case of,
> and therefore redundant to, checkpoint 2.2.

My understanding is that a client-side redirect requires no user
input; after a time-delay, the user agent GETs a new page. Sometimes,
the content that is available during the time-delay allows the user to
manually GET the new content. But the user's input is not required
to trigger the GET.

 - Ian