Re: Raw minutes from 21 June UAWG teleconference

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> for freehand drawing keyboard access essentially amounts to mousekeys anyway.
> I am not sure if thre is anything else that isn't amenable to keyboard
> manipulation - moving graphics, resizing and transforming are often useful
> things to do via the keyboard. In the olden days, this was even a commmon
> thing to do.
>
> Are there specific things that are considered too difficult?

My opinion is the following:

 - Everything must be do-able through the keyboard.
 - Checkpoint 1.1 says this, but doesnt distinguish whether
   the way you accomplish something through the keyboard must
   be spatially-independent (e.g., keyboard shortcuts, menu navigation)
   or may be spatially-dependent (e.g., moving the pointing device
   via the keyboard).
 - We should not try to make 1.1 any more precise than it is, and
   we should:

     a) Emphasize that spatially-independent access should be provided
      (perhaps redundant with spatially-dependent methods) where
possible.
      This would include text selection, moving graphics, etc.
     b) Ensure that we explain that keyboard access is not just for
users
      with blindness, and some users with physical disabilities will
      find spatially-dependent keyboard access useful, as will users
with
      alternative input devices who make use of the keyboard API.

This will be reflected in the next draft.

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783