[Issue 477] Checkpoint 2.10: Does this apply to writing systems?

Hello,

I asked Martin Duerst to comment on our issue 477 [1], checkpoint
2.10 of the last call document [2]:

  "Allow configuration not to render content in
   unsupported natural languages."

The issue: Does "natural languages" include writing systems
(scripts)? Should the checkpoint be clarified by pointing
this out?

His comment is:

  "I think script is subsumed in the checkpoint as you have
   it now."

More comments below. I have one comment, preceded by IJ:.

 - Ian

[1] http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc3.html#477
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-UAAG10-20010409/

Martin Duerst wrote:

> Hello Ian,
>
> My understanding is that a script is just a means of supporting
> a language when using written rendering. If e.g. the Cyrillic
> script is not supported, then this means that visual rendering
> of Russian, Ukrainian,... is not supported.
>
> So I think script is subsumed in the checkpoint as you have it
> now. It may be the case that e.g. there is a text-to-speech
> module for Russian. In that case, it would be inadequate to
> say 'Russian is supported' or 'Russian is not supported';
> one would have to say 'Russian visual rendering is not
> supported, Russian audible rendering is supported'.
>
> It depends on the overall style of the guidelines whether
> this has to be made explicit (e.g. by changing the checpoint
> to 'allow configuration not to render content in
> natural languages for which the selected modality (or whatever
> you call the distinction between visual, audio,...) is not
> supported'.) or whether it's okay to stay short as you are
> at the moment.

IJ: I'm not sure your proposal is necessary: It seems to
say: "allow configuration not to render in modality X when
you don't support modality X." We are saying: whatever
modality you do support, allow configuration not to render
garbage (related to unsupported natural languages)
in that modality. We don't make requirements that a particular
modality be supported (though at least one must be
supported; refer to the section on content type labels).

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783