Re: QA questions about the modularized UAAG

Harvey Bingham wrote:

> At 2001-05-10 14:31, gregory j. rosmaita wrote:

> >2. why are the filenames for UAAG and UAAG-TECHS identical?  if one attempts
> >to unarchive the hypertext version of the modularized document into a single
> >directory (such as C:\HTML\W3C\WAI\UA), one is forced to change the
> >filenames in any case, so as to avoid (a) overwriting files with identical
> >names and (b) wasting hard drive space through the
> >replication of the contents of the sub-directories contained in the
> >archives, which includes duplicate copies of all of the images used in the
> >guidelines...  of course, if one changes the names of the files contained in
> >the UAAG-TECHS archive, the links from UAAG to UAAG-TECHS all break...
>
> As name-changing breaks links, and we have many links from UAAG10 to
> UAAG10-Tech, and at least one back. So changing either name just to avoid
> a name collision seems unnecessary.
>
> I agree they should have different names, so that
> links from one to the other can work in the same directory,
> without having to change the URLs in either
> document.

IJ: The links to the techniques from the guidelines document
are absolute links to the *latest version of techniques on the Web*.
They are not relative links to another file in the same directory.
This was designed so that people would always follow links
to the latest and greatest techniques. As a result, there is
no benefit (or need or requirement) to unzipping all the
files in the same directory. They are independent documents
(like CSS and HTML) and are not intended to be unzipped in
the same place.

I think that for me to change names or organization of this
kind at this point I would need to hear very convincing
arguments about why one should be able to put all the files
in the same directory. Please note that they do *not* interlink
relatively, and so nothing is gained in that respect.

(I also think that we should spend our time on more important
issues than this as I am pretty convinced that given how
the documents interlink, there's no benefit to unzipping
in the same place. I may be very wrong, but I'd rather worry
about substantial issues at this point.

> They can share the URL references to common images and style sheets.

There is only one common style sheet (no common images except
the icons at the top of the document, also referenced globally).
I don't mind copying the style sheet for each distribution.

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783