Re: Comments on Working Draft as of April 9

Hi Jon and Scott,

My comments below preceded by IJ:.

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> >Checkpoint 6.4:  I have some concern over the "write access" portion of the
> >checkpoint.  For security reasons, we generally need to prevent write access
> >to most of our controls, whether it be from an in-process or out of process
> >application.  Also, for consistency with checkpoint 6.2, limit the write
> >requirement to those controls that may be edited through the user interface.
>
> JRG: This seems reasonable to me, we will discuss it with the group

IJ: Yes, I would support this, too.

> >Checkpoint 9.6:  Can we allow a configurable option that would include
> >navigation of disabled elements?  This may be best suited as a comment in the
> >Techniques section.  From our experience, we have elements that are disabled
> >at one time and then enabled at another time.  For a consistent navigation,
> >some users have preferred allowing navigation of disabled elements.  In this
> >case, the element would simply indicate that it is currently disabled.  It
> >prevents the scenario of elements that seem to disappear.
>
> JRG: This is an interesting question.  Should this be a requirement or a
> good technique.

IJ: Yes, I would agree with making this configurable as well.
More specifically:

 - The UA satisfies the requirement if disabled elements
   are never in the navigation order, or

 - The UA satisfies the requirement if there's a configuration so
   that disabled elements do not appear in the navigation order.

> >Checkpoint 6.6:  I understand the need for standard APIs and documented APIs
> >for non-standard implementations.  But because of the way some ATs work,
> >custom code has had to be written by both AOL and AT developers.  The same is
> >true for other software companies.  I believe a priority one for the
> >implementation of a user agent should be "make it work".  Priority two should
> >be "make it work using standards".  I can go into much greater detail about
> >this if it draws a discussion.
>
> JRG: I would like to talk to you more about this issue and why standard
> accessibility APIs or standard APIs fall short of the accessibility
> requirements.  My main concern is that we want to reduce the reliance on
> proprietary or special solutions for individual assistive technologies,
> since this will make it harder for developers to make their software
> accessible and a smaller number of assistive technologies maybe supported.

IJ: I think this is an important topic, but I may have to miss the
teleconference where it is discussed (regrets for 26 April and 3 May).
As I mentioned in my recent email ([1], issue 13), I think that
we need to be able to present a consistent model in the document
and provide sufficient rationale when we deviate from it (e.g.,
our P1 requirement to support the DOM for XML content).

 _ Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001AprJun/0073

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783