Re: Issue 324: Proposal for revised checkpoint 6.2

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> Ian,
> I like the new checkpoint.  How do you feel about making the requirement to
> conform to WCAG 1.0 at a P2 requirement.  I would use the same argument for
> P2 as the group used to make documentation conformance a P2 level.

I would object to that. Here are some reasons:

 - I'm not convinced you can create a document that
   conforms to WCAG 1.0 at Level Double-A with plain text.
   For instance, you might fail 3.3: use style sheets to
   control layout and presentation. Or 3.6: Mark up lists
   and list items properly. Or most importantly, 11.1:
   Use w3c technologies when they are available and
   appropriate for a task and use the latest versions when
   supported.

   This means that Notepad couldn't conform to UAAG 1.0
   if it only supports plain text viewing.

 - By imposing a P2 requirement here, were are in effect saying
   that all content on the Web must be level Double-A conformant.
   Otherwise, no user agent will be able to conform to UAAG 1.0.
   I don't believe we should impose that restriction on authors
   or user agent developers.

 - Ian