Re: Proposal for modifying checkpoint 4.17 (Issue 405)

Works for me, with one low-level detail suggestion:

Detail:  I would use "e.g." rather than "i.e." because when reading a
specification I would take i.e. as restrictive, and the focus and selection
styles are not _limited_ to the formatting properties mentioned.

The abbreviation i.e. is short for "id est" which is Latin for "that is."  The
implication is that when i.e. is used, all relevant cases are covered in what
is stated.

The abbreviation e.g. is short for "exempli gratia" which is Latin synonymous
with "for example" or "such as."  The implication is that when e.g. is used,
there are some examples given but there are actually others that are also
valid
and not mentioned.

Al

PS:  This is one of those cases which confirms Eric's insistence that
vocabulary matters.  While it looks 'editorial' as a "wrong word" discrepancy,
it affects the substantive interpretation of the language of the checkpoint.
Oy!

At 05:31 AM 2000-12-14 -0600, jon gunderson wrote:
>How about htis for the last sentence.
>
>If an element has both selection and highlight, and there exists a
>conflict between selection and focus styling (.i.e. color, border style,
>text decoration), focus styling should receive priority for final
>rendering.
>
>Jon
>
>On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Al Gilman wrote:
>
>> At 01:32 PM 2000-12-13 -0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>> >Al,
>> >Basically from my point of view, if there is choice between using
selection

>> >or focus color use the focus color.  If there is a choice between
selection

>> >and focus border styles use the focus border style.  If selection uses
>> >border styling and focus doesn't use border styling there is no conflict
>> >that the priority rule would need to decide on.  In this case the
selection

<<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0389.html>http:/
/lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0389.html>

>> [NEW]
>> 4.17 Allow the user to configure how the content focus is highlighted
>> (e.g., foreground and background color, voice pitch,
>> etc.). For graphical viewports, offer at least three rendering options,
>> including colors and fonts. For graphical viewports, allow the user to
>> select from among the range of system colors and fonts. The default focus
>> highlight mechanism must be different from the default selection highlight
>> mechanism.  If an element can simultaneously be part of a selection and
>> have focus, the focus styling should have priority over the selection
>> styling when rendering the element. [Priority 1]
>> [/NEW]
>>
>> [just take that last sentence]
>>
>> If an element can simultaneously be part of a selection and have focus, the
>> focus styling should have priority over the selection styling when
rendering
>> the element.
>>
>> [Maybe it could say]
>>
>> When some content is both focused and selected, the user agent should give
>> priority, if needed to resolve a conflict, to the focus styling over the
>> selection styling.
>>
>> [What do others think?]
>>
>> Al
>>
>> >Jon