Re: Proposal for modifying checkpoint 4.17 (Issue 405)

At 12:11 PM 2000-12-13 -0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:

>2. Focus style should have priority over selection style.  No mixing, just
>priority.

Please note my concern on this point.  The UA should be allowed or encouraged
to mix them if it can.  The priority should only be an issue if it can't.  The
CSS algorithm (pick one style) is bad human engineering in this situation.
Lots of the relevant screen effects mix fine.

I think that my input on this point is consistent with what Greg Lowney said.
Greg says that the default focus and selection styles should be mixable and be
mixed when something is both focused and selected.  That is a good idea.  We
don't necessarily have to make it a requirement, but we sure shouldn't make it
disallowed.

It's one thing to say that the UA is not required to mix them and when it
can't
it should use the focus style.  It's another to say that the UA should not mix
them but just use the focus style.  To me the latter is writing rules that
degrade the communication effectiveness of the tool, which is not our goal,
last I checked.

Al