Re: Raw notes from Martin Duerst / Ian Jacobs UAAG/I18N discussion

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:10:22 -0500, Francois Yergeau wrote:
> > MD: If you know what "fr" means but don't have resources
> > to handle it (e.g., a dictionary), that's one thing (e.g.,
> > you can ask the user if using the italian dictionary you
> > do have is ok).
>
> Or better, offer to download appropriate resources (such as recent browsers
> do for fonts when encountering a new language).

Unlike graphic or braille rendering, speech rendering often requires
hardware capability specific to the language.  Even for software
synthesizers, English and Japanese, for example, are implemented as
two different modes and Japanese synthesizers usually don't support
any other languages.

Of course, it would be nice if user gets prompted when there is
downloadable resource or is possible to select different resource
available.

     Cheers,
Max
---
                      Masafumi NAKANE, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
[E-Mail]: max@w3.org / max@wide.ad.jp