RE: Equivalent issue

I am preparing a material on "Equivalency" that will, I think, include a
section on Frequently Asked Questions. I think that might help clarify
things.

My comments are marked with "EH:"

EH: I think that the term 'equivalency target' is much simpler, cleaner, and
certainly better defined than the term 'primary content'.

 The
> definition is based on
> a user, rather than an author perspective.  A user can select
> an equivalent
> for any element that is not usable by them.  The element that
> is not usable
> to them is referenced as the "equivalency target" of the
> equivalent they
> select for rendering.  The author therefore does not
> necessarily need to
> consider the term "equivalency target" in the equivalents
> that they prepare
> for elements in their document.

EH: I think that I would phrase it otherwise. WCAG 1.0 requires text
equivalents for all non-text elements that is authored. In order to fulfill
this requirement, each author-provided non-text element must take the role
of an 'equivalency target' for which the text equivalent is the
'equivalent'. So each multimedia presentation, audio-only presentation, and
video-only presentation, image, etc., becomes an equivalency target for
which the content developer is to provide a text equivalent (as the
'equivalent'). UAAG 1.0 is required to render 'all content' and also to
ensure that there is a text equivalent for each user-agent-generated message
that is non-text content. Some day, the user him or herself might be able to
say, "Here is a non-text element that that I cannot understand. The author
did not provide a text equivalent. User Agent, generate me a text equivalent
for it so that I can understand it." The User Agent might then use a
combination of picture recognition, voice recognition, or other technologies
to produce a text equivalent (or some other kind of equivalent) based on
these user-specified 'equivalency targets'. But that is beyond the scope of
our current document.

> 2. How equivalent are "Equivalents"
> The terms used used to discuss this issue include asymmetrical and
> symmetrical relationships between equivalents.  There has also been
> discussion of mathematical relationships for equivalency.
> Some people seem
> to want to require some type of "mathematical" equivalency
> for equivalents
> or at least have authors view equivalents as equally usable by people
> without disabilities to get the same information.
>
> Proposal:  This is really a WCAG issue and this is where this type of
> definition needs to be made.  UAAG can only deal with
> equivalents that can
> be recognized in markup and offer those for rendering to the
> user.  The
> user agent cannot test and therefore guarantee that any recognized
> equivalents actually provide the same information to the user.
>
> Has anyone raised this with WCAG?

EH: I am in favor of not doing things in UAAG 1.0 that would necessitate
significant changes in WCAG 1.0, notably the definition of 'Equivalent' and
the wording of WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 1.1. I have not raised these issues with
WCAG.