From: w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Hans Riesebos
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 6:10 AM
To: <
Subject: source vs content vs rendered content: item #207

I am sorry for missing the telecon. I miscalculated the time. In europe we
went to daylight savings time.

After reading the raw minutes, I am still confused on item #207.

Can anyone tell me where I go wrong in my reasoning? Below I give an example
of what I think is source (or 'original source'), what is rendered content
and what is content (or 'current content' or maybe even 'current source').

Here is just an example I found somewhere on the internet:

This is some source
   <HTML>
   <HEAD>
   <SCRIPT>
       function displayPerson(color)
       {
           document.write("<FONT COLOR='"+color+"'>Name:"+this.Name
           +"<BR>Age:"+this.Age+"<BR>Country:"
           +this.Country+"</FONT>");
       }
       function Person(Name, Age, Country)
       {
           this.Name=Name;
           this.Age=Age;
           this.Country=Country;
           this.displayPerson=displayPerson;
       }
   </SCRIPT>
   </HEAD>
   <BODY>
   <SCRIPT>
       neighbor= new Person("John Smith", 34, "Switzerland");
       neighbor.displayPerson("blue";
   </SCRIPT>
   </BODY>
   </HTML>

When "rendered" or executed, this will read from the screen (in blue text):
So next is the rendered content

   Name:John Smith
   Age:34
   Country:Switzerland

Which actually equals (what I consider to be the content):

   <HTML>
   <BODY>
   <P><FONT COLOR=blue>Name:John Smith<BR>
   Age:34<BR>
   Country:Switzerland </FONT></P>
   </BODY>
   </HTML>

When I read the definition of what content is in the UAAG it does not
conflict with my view, because it refers to 'document source' (where
document refers to the DOM-document?).

When I ask for the source-view in IE5 I get the 'original source', that (in
my opinion) would not satisfy checkpoint 2.1. If on the other hand it would
give me the 'current source' it would satisfy the checkpoint (see definition
of 'content' in the UAAG).

If the definition of content refers to 'original content', then programmatic
control to the DOM will not give me the content and would not satisfy
checkpoint 2.1!?

Please enlighten me
Hans Riesebos
ALVA BV, The Netherlands