Re: Documentation issue

"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

> aloha, jon!
>
> you asked, quote:
> Does the proposed recommendation wording satisfy your concerns related to
> the scope of the documentation related checkpoints?
> unquote
>
> no, it does not...  there are actually 2 issues which i want addressed --

Comments below prefaced by IJ:

> (1) the accessibility of download-and-install functionalities, and (2) the
> accessibility of online support materials which are either issued after the
> release is finalized or which serve as supplemental documentation -- if
> these are not accessible, then the user agent, as a whole, cannot be said
> to be accessible...
>
> RATIONALE
> 1) most software is updatable via the web, either via ActiveX
> download-and-install routines, or through a sniff-and-suggest form (in
> which the server sniffs the user's browser version and update information
> so as to provide a list of suggested and recommended downloads -- such
> interfaces _must_ conform to both WCAG and to the proprietary guidelines
> appropriate for the interface and/or operating system in question...
>
> 2) online documentation -- such as tips and tricks, FAQs, downloading and
> installation instructions, all _must_ be WCAG compliant...  this is
> especially important as developers often post information on their web
> sites that is not included in their regular means of distribution, or which
> supplements or corrects information contained in the documentation that is
> distributed with the user agent
>
> 3) links to extensions, plug-ins, tweaks, and links to third-party
> utilities promoted in the user agent manufacturer's web space must also be
> WCAG compliant
>
> SUGGESTIONS
> here are a few places where stronger verbiage needs to be added:
>
> 1. introduction to Guideline 5
>
> quote
> Communicate with other software (e.g., assistive technologies, the
> operating system, plug-ins) through applicable interfaces. Observe system
> and programming language conventions for the user agent user interface,
> documentation, installation, etc.
> unquote
>
> which could be strengthened by the addition of the following sentence:
>
> <proposed>
> Ensure that any online services (e.g. automated update facilities,
> download-and-install functionalities, sniff-and-fill forms, etc.) comply
> with relevant operating system conventions concerning device independence
> and accessibility, as well as with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
> 1.0 [WCAG10]
> </proposed>

IJ: I've added this as a technique for checkpoint 5.9.

> 2. introduction to Guideline 11
>
> needs something along the following lines:
>
> <proposed>
> Due to the rapid development cycle involved in issuing, patching, and
> bug-fixing User Agents, it is essential that at least one version of any
> supplemental documentation that is issued after the software is released
> conforms to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 [WCAG10]. Any
> information about the User Agent that is available solely via the web
> _must_ conform to WCAG 1.0.
> </proposed>

IJ: This is already in the 10 March techniques document under
checkpoint 11.1:

  "Documentation includes information bundled with a product
   when it is released as well as information made available
   subsequently (e.g., bug fixes, etc.). "

 - Ian