Re: Proposed clarification of checkpoint 6.2 (conforming to W3C specs)

aloha, charles!

consider your agreement seconded...  cognizance and monitoring of candidate
recommendations, drafts in last call, and working drafts in general should
also be stressed in the techniques documents of all of the WAI GLs,
especially as they all depend upon the forward-looking WCAG which is,
perforce, rife with "until user agent..." clauses...  only by monitoring
the evolution of technical reports (and following up by reading associated
notes), will developers be able to erase those words from WCAG...

gregory

At 03:33 PM 3/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I agree with the proposal. I would prefer to say in the techniques that
>developers should pay close attention to working drafts in general, and
>particularly those that have advanced as far as candidate recommendation.
>
>Charles McCN
>
>On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>
>   Hello,
>
>   In the Candidate Rec of the UAAG 1.0, checkpoint 6.2 reads:
>
>      "Conform to W3C specifications when they are appropriate
>       for a task. [Priority 2]."
>
>   The WG has already resolved [2] to change the wording to:
>
>       "Use and conform to W3C specifications when they are
>        available and appropriate for a task."
>
>   I propose changing "specifications" to "Recommendations".
>   This would narrow the scope of the requirement. It would not
>   prevent user agents from conforming to additional levels
>   of documents, but would only require conformance to
>   Recommendations. Furthermore, we should note in the Techs
>   document that developers should pay close attention to
>   Candidate Rec drafts.
>
>   I would like to discuss this at the 9 March meeting. Please
>   voice any objections before then.
>
>   Thank you,
>
>    - Ian
>
>   [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-UAAG10-20000128
>   [2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2000/03/wai-ua-telecon-20000302.html
>
>   --
>   Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>   Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783
>

>--
>Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org    phone: +61 (0) 409 134 136
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                      http://www.w3.org/WAI
>Location: I-cubed, 110 Victoria Street, Carlton VIC 3053
>Postal: GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne 3001,  Australia

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>