Re: DOM events Re: PROPOSAL: User Agent Issue 190:

aloha, chris!

yes, i know that there is nothing in the CSS2 rec that mandates that a user
start from ground zero, but if one wants to add pseudo-elemental text,
there isn't a property sheet driven slash wizard type mechanism that allows
one to do so...

there are, however, interfaces (such as those available in Opera 3.6x and
MSIE 4x and 5x) that allow you to reference a local stylesheet, but no
extant mechanism to walk someone through the process, which was my point
about those who have no interest in learning the CSS syntax and grammar,
but who simply want to tailor the presentation slash rendering of content
to best fulfill their needs...

i didn't mean to imply that the CSS rec mandates that one must construct
one's own stylesheet using a plain text editor, but the fact of the matter
is, if one wants to take full advantage of CSS, that is currently the only
alternative to downloading a "core stylesheet"

gregory.

Chris Lilley wrote:

>"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:
>
> > it is heartening (at least to me) that while we continue to work hard at
> > getting quote the right stuff unquote into the W3C DOM, as well as broad
> > agreement to implement the W3C DOM, that a viable alternative
> > exists...  yes, i know that it is, to borrow a phrase from the Americans
> > with Disabilities Act, an quote undue burden unquote to fob off
> > construction of a personal stylesheet onto individual users, most of whom
> > neither know CSS syntax nor care to learn it,
>
>Just to be quite clear here:
>
>Nothing in the CSS2 Rec says that authors have to hand craft their
>stylesheets in plain text editors and precludes WYSIOP content creation
>tools making their stylehseets for them. That I hope is a truism.
>
>Similarly, nothing in CSS2 requires that users have to hand craft their
>stylesheets in plain text editors, by themselves. Browsers have for a long
>time offered various preferences and menu items which let users adjust
>various aspects of presentation. User stylesheets is a way to formalise the
>interaction of these preferences with the rest of the style system, and to
>allow such preferences to be shared ina common syntax between users. Think
>of your browser preferences system as an authoring tool for user
>stylesheets.
>
>Of course, users can write ther own stylesheets if they want, and the fact
>that CSS has a very approachable syntax helps people to make that step if
>they want to.
>
>And lastly, CSS user stylesheets benefit from the cascade. A user
>stylesheet can be one line. It would be an undyue burden to force users who
>don't like the current presentation to make a complete new presentation
>from ground zero.
>--
>Chris

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC
         <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html>