Re: uaag comments

Tomas Valusek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm just reading User Agent Accessibility Guidelines recommendation
> candidate, and there seem to be some things I'd like to comment.

Hello Tomas,

Thanks for taking time to comment!

> Guideline 2
>
> It may happen that some elements overlap (both due the user agent
> malfunction, or the authors intention, or an unusual configuration of user
> agent - larger fonts etc.). In such case, there should be a way to separate
> such elements and see their contents unoverlapped.

I'm not sure we can do anything about the case of the user agent
malfunctioning. I think the requirement that you're making is
covered by checkpoint 2.1 and some checkpoints in Guidelines 3 and 4.
Were you proposing an additional requirement, or were you thinking
that this should be in the Techniques Document as advice to
developers?

> Guideline 7
>
> In framesets, the frame can have an attribute "scrolling" set to no. The
> user agent should provide the way to see a contents which didn't fit in an
> area set for that frame.

(Refer to the definition of "scrolling" [1] in HTML 4.01).

That sounds like a good technique to me. But I'd put it in Guideline
2 (access to content).

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/present/frames.html#adef-scrolling

> Embedded objects (Java applets, ActiveX comtrols, plugins etc.) take control
> over keyboard and it's impossible to move focus by keyboard to elements
> positioned behind such objects. Example: Using TAB, I get to the Java applet
> containing two buttons. Now while pressing TAB, I'm cycling between those
> two buttons, and there's no way to access a link which is placed below that
> applet.
>
> Solution: There should be a way to switch focus between objects (frames in
> framesets, iframes and embedded objects in a document) in different way than
> cycling between single elemets (links, form entries, etc.), also by
> keyboard.

What browser are you using? It sounds like a bug in the browser that
doesn't let you access all of the active elements in the documnet.

> Guideline 10
>
> Some frames are made large enough to view their contents with "standard"
> configuration. however, in some times a user has "non-standard" config, so a
> user should be able to command user agent to ignore some frame attributes
> ("scrolling", "resize" "border", for example).

Again, that sounds like good technique material for Guideline two
on access to content. I don't believe the user agent would be
in violation of the HTML spec if it ignored some attributes in an
attempt
to provide access to content.

> I know that I'm not supposed to provide such kind of feedback, but these
> things I'm encountering and not all authors of a content like my mails
> asking them to remove a directive "scrolling=no" from their framed pages.

On the contrary, your feedback is welcome. Thank you for helping us
improve the document.

 - Ian

> Best wishes.
>
> Tomas Valusek

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814 or 212 532-4767