Re: List of questions to AT developers

schwer@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Jon and Ian,
>
> Could you ask what other API/features vendors would like the DOM API to
> support? I am spearheading the requirements for DOM 3 in the WAI PF group.
> The accessibility issues list I presented to the DOM working group is being
> used as the base for the DOM 3 requirements document. One thing that has
> helped me to create this list is based on our work with HPR 3.0 and using
> the DOM. I would like to hear other requirements from vendors so that we
> could extend this list.

Sounds like a great idea for the agenda of the meeting. Rich, you
could present this topic and indicate current requirements. You
might also send to the UA mailing list a pointer to any materials
that are already available. Remember: the UA list is public and
if the info is Member-only, it probably isn't useful.

 - Ian

> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> Rich Schwerdtfeger
> Lead Architect, IBM Special Needs Systems
> EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com http://www.austin.ibm.com/sns/rich.htm
>
> "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
> I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
> Frost
>
> Jon Gunderson <jongund@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> on 01/31/2000 03:19:18 PM
>
> To:   Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
> cc:   w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
> Subject:  Re: List of questions to AT developers
>
> Revised set of questions to AT developers:
>
> 1. What techniques do you currently use or plan to use to access and
> process WWW content for alternative rendering?
>
> 2. Are you familar with the W3C Document Object Module (DOM)[1]?
>
> 3. If yes to question 2, are you familar with interfaces your technology
> can use to access DOMs (i.e. Microsoft implementatoin of the DOM in IE
> 4/0/5.0)?
>
> 4. If yes to question 2 and 3,  do you think the DOM will meet your needs
> for access to WWW content?
>
> 5. If yes to question 3 and 4, how resource intensive is it to use the DOM
> as the means of accessing WWW content?
>
> 6. Indicate which of the following resources would help you in using or
> deciding to use the DOM for accessing WWW content.
>
> 6.a Demonstration code?
> 6.b WWW based tutorial materials on DOM capabilities and programming
> examples?
> 6.c Face-to-face workshop on DOM capabilities and programming examples?
> 6.d Access to people with expertise in DOM capabilities and programming?
> 6.e Any other resources that would help you?
>
> 7. Could you please review and comment on current version of the W3C Web
> Accessibility Initiative User Agent guidelines[2], especially the Guideline
> 5: Observe system conventions and standard interfaces[3]?
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/DOM/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-UAAG10-20000128
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-UAAG10-20000128/#gl-accessible-interface
> Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
> Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
> Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group
> Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
> College of Applied Life Studies
> University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
> 1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820
>
> Voice: (217) 244-5870
> Fax: (217) 333-0248
>
> E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
>
> WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
> WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814 or 212 532-4767