Re: Techniques for Checkpoint 5.5

Response is JRG2:
At 01:02 PM 1/27/00 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Jon Gunderson wrote:
>>
>> Current techniques for 5.5:
>>
>> 1. @@This needs work and probably should be in the guidelines@@. The
>> exchange of information between user agents must keep pace with changes in
>> the content. It may be necessary to allow the user to configure the user
>> agent to pause before changes to content or the user interface so that an
>> assistive technology has time to react.
>>
>> JRG: Unless we have an example of how this would work I would like to see
>> it removed.  We can add it to a future issues list for the document or
>> forwarded to the PF group, but I know off no technical way for AT and UA to
>> do this or how it would help assistive technology.  This has been a
>> consistently difficult checkpoint for developers to understand and I think
>> this type of techniques suggestion will only add to the confusion on what
>> should be a simple checkpoint to understand.
>
>I disagree. I think the note indicates sufficiently that this concept
>needs fleshing out.

JRG2: If a technique needs work at this point in the development of the
techniques document I think it should be given to interested working group
members as an action item for them to develop.  When the validity of the
technique for accessibility is clearer to the working group it can then be
added to the techniques document. Until that time I think putting in
questionable techniques will cause unnecessary problems during the review
process.  This would be the only technique I am aware of as marked as
"needs work" if included.

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group