Re: Proposal for Issue WD#180 changing priority of Checkpoint 10.8 on configuring graphical controls

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I recommend being able to show/hide controls be a P2 requirement.

Hi Charles,

Please indicate to what extent you recommend this. We resolved
all our open issues last Thursday and are trying to move the
document forward. Are you proposing a new checkpoint?

 - Ian

> Not having
> to tab through them will make life somewhat easier. In addition Jonathan
> Chetwynd has writen in the context of search engines that a major problem for
> people with Copgnitive disabilities is knowing where to enter something. He
> recommends the Google engine because the inteerface is relatively sparse and
> junk-free (unlike this email, I realise) but says he still works with people
> who get confudsed between the input box and the box where you input a URI (I
> note that many browsers do allow this to be hidden, and often the
> toolbar(s) as well.
>
> Charles McCN
>
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>
>   I recommend that checkpoint 10.8 "Allow the user to configure the
>   arrangement of graphical user agent user interface controls." remain at
>   Priority 3.  It is not that I don't think it is important, but we have not
>   identified the core requirements that are definitely priority 2 items.
>   This is reflected in the 13 January telecon where there were groups of
>   people who though the checkpoint was a priority 2, some who though it was
>   priority 3 and others who were not sure which priority.  Denis Anson's
>   request to Alan Cantor produced an eloquent response on the need for
>   configuration, but no specific recommendations that could be formed into
>   checkpoint requirements.  So until there is a specific proposal on core
>   requirements at a priority level 2 I suggest that we resolve to leave this
>   at priority 3 so the group can move on to other issues.    Minority opinons
>   can be attached to the checkpoint for review during Candidate
>   Recommendation, Proposed Recommendation and by the W3C Director.
>
>   Thanks,
>   Jon
>
>   Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
>   Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
>   Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group
>   Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
>   College of Applied Life Studies
>   University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
>   1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820
>
>   Voice: (217) 244-5870
>   Fax: (217) 333-0248
>
>   E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
>
>   WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
>   WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua
>

> --
> Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org    phone: +61 (0) 409 134 136
> W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                      http://www.w3.org/WAI
> 21 Mitchell Street, Footscray, VIC 3011,  Australia

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814