Re: WD#177: User control of current focus change and notification.

Response in JRG:
At 07:46 AM 1/20/00 -0500, David Poehlman wrote:
>I'd like to see what Ian comes up with for 1.5 which I know is about
>redundancy, but this important implication must not be missed and also
>I'd like possibly to see checkpoint 4.15 have wording that includes
>system messages.  I don't see anything here that would indicate that
>system messages are covered because they may not have anything to do
>with "view port" unless specifically stated in the checkpoint.

JRG: Ian is making a proposal to add system messages to Checkpoint 4.15.
Checkpoint 5.2 states that AT must have read/write access to user interface
controls, so system messages should be accessible to AT.

>This is why when the issue of system messages came up gregory and I
>felt that it was important to note.  I'll tell it this way.  I think
>of a view port change as when you are following a link or have
>submitted a form and something happens.  In the case of system
>messages such as a security question or download complete or do you
>want to install this now message comes up, this is done possibly after
>a delay and you are doing something else during the time before it
>happens.  As long as it is well documented and developpers can
>understand that system messages that cause or currently cause a change
>of focus need to be configurable not to do that, I am happy.

JRG: I think part of Gregory's current action item is to explain the
problem and possible solutions to the pop up windows issue.

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group