Re: Editorial: Checkpoint 5.1

Th main things that are left out of DOM level 1 are:

1. Comments by the author
2. Style sheet information
3. Scripting information
4. META and other information in the header of the document

CSS is part of DOM level 2, but I don't see any information in the spec on
providing access to the source code for embedded scripts.  Access to the
contents of the TITLE element in the HEAD block is the only thing the DOM
currently models.

Jon

At 09:52 AM 1/11/00 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Jon Gunderson wrote:

>> authoring tool:
>>
>> The limitations of the DOM and UA guidelines related to authoring documents:
>
>> 1. Current DOM specifications do not represent the entire document, future
>> versions may
>
>I'm not sure this is true. I think that some information (such as style
>and event attributes) is not available through the HTML convenience
>interfaces [1]. However, you should be able to get at that information
>through the DOM core [2]
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/level-one-html.html
>[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/level-one-core.html
>
>> 2. DOM currently does not have features to save the document, even if it is
>> complete representation is available
>
>I may be wrong, but that's probably not supposed to be part of the DOM
>(since, for example, the concrete syntax may vary even if the abstract
>syntax represented by the document tree is the same in different
>applications).
>
>> 3. We have no requirements in the UA guidelines to allow the user to change
>> content, only to configure rendering of content and interact with active
>> elements.
>
>Conformance to the DOM means that you have read and write access
>to the document tree. So although we don't have any explicit
>checkpoints for content modification, as is, UAs are required
>to allow content modification through the DOM.
>

>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
>Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group