RE: wording of Checkpoint 7.5

Denis,
Elements like title and summary could be rendered by the user agent and the
user agent is required to provide access to all content to conform to the
guidelines.  This does not necessarily mean that TITLE and SUMMARY need to
be made available through rendering.  They could be made available in other
ways like tooltips or context menus.  I think the biggest question for me
is if someone does a search and the information they are searching for is
not rendered, how does the user agent tell them what they have found.  If
the information found has been rendered in can be given a programmatic
selection by the user agent.  If the text match found is the summary of a
table that has not been rendered, how does the user interface indicate that
the found item is in the summary atribute of a table or if there are more
that on table which table?

I think the basic functionality should still be rendered information.  If
group wants to search information that is not rendered, maybe that should
be a different checkpoint.  This later approach may require more skill for
efficient use.

Jon

At 09:25 AM 1/7/00 -0500, Denis Anson wrote:
>I'd like to see the wording expanded to include things like the title
>attribute and summary attribute for tables, which are not, in fact, rendered
>under "normal" situations.  Titles can be rendered when they are pointed to,
>and summaries are not rendered at all, but I sure would want to be able to
>search on them!
>
>How would you find information stored in a title if you can't search on it?
>Just point to everything on the page, and hope it pops up some where?
>
>Denis

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group