Re: Techniques for 2.2.3

> Many assistive technologies understand different languages and can render
> them according to the language attribute defined for a certain part of
the
> document.

I don't know of any such assistive technologies.

Jim Thatcher
IBM Special Needs Systems
www.ibm.com/sns
HPR Documentation page: http://www.austin.ibm.com/sns/hprdoc.html
thatch@us.ibm.com
(512)838-0432

Marja-Riitta Koivunen <marja@w3.org> on 11/24/99 11:58:52 AM

To:   w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
cc:
Subject:  Techniques for 2.2.3

I hope this is OK as starting point. Gregory promised to make another
iteration.

Marja

2.3 Render content according to natural language identification

Let user select the default natural language or languages in priority order
that she normally prefers to receive content.  As content in the preferred
language might not always be available, the user needs to be able to see
what languages are available in the current presentation and select from
these.

Many assistive technologies understand different languages and can render
them according to the language attribute defined for a certain part of the
document. For  instance, a screen reader might change the pronunciation of
the text according to the language definition. This is usually desired and
done according to the capabilities of the tool. Some specialized tools
might give some finer user control for the pronunciation as well.

Sometimes the user might also want to know when the text contains parts in
other languages. How to render the change of language should be made user
controllable by the user agent. For instance, the user might choose to hear
"language:new language e.g. German" when the language changes to German and
"language: default language" when it changes back. Alternatively or in
addition, the language change could also be rendered visually as text
withing the document. User should be able to turn this on or off as it
might be disturbing to users understanding the languages. (Maybe the UA
could use stylesheets for implementing the change when available.) In
addition, if possible the UA might have interpretations available behind a
link or provide a separate function for that.