RE: Issues: Part 3 - #44 and #45 - Exemption

This is an issue that is revolving around the concept of interoperability of
assistive technologies that work with user agents.  And specifically, it
deals with the fact that user agents that are developed specifically for
those with visual limitations might not want to provide full access for
physical disabilities.  However, I'll argue strongly that they must.

Based on statistics presented by Linda Petty, of the University of Toronto,
between 50 and 80% of people with severe physical disabilities also have
visual/perceptual deficits.  These people must have both assistive
technology for physical access, for also for sensory access.  If tools like
HomePage Reader do not provide for all of the physical access demands of the
mainstream graphical browser, then a person who is both physically disabled
and low/no vision still doesn't have access.  The proportion of those with
dual needs is very large, and a document that addresses issues of general
accessibility must address the issues of those with multiple disabling
conditions.

Secondarily, I do not like the idea of changing the language to "people with
disabilities" because this artificially segregates those with disabilities
from the "normal" population.  This results in a stigma on those who
identify themselves as having a disability, and it also excludes those who
do not have an identified disability, but who are at the edges of the
"normal range" of performance.  One particular population here is the
elderly, who may have limitations in vision, hearing, and dexterity that are
the results of normal aging, and not of pathology, but who would benefit
from many of the features we are talking about in this document.

Denis Anson, MS, OTR
Assistant Professor
College Misericordia
301 Lake St.
Dallas, PA 18612

Member since 1989:
RESNA: An International Association of Assistive Techology Professionals
Website: http://www.resna.org
RESNA ANNUAL CONFERENCE -- "RESNA 2000"
ORLANDO, FL, JUNE 28 -- July 2, 2000