Re: techniques for author-defined UI controls

At 02:10 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>aloha, al!

[...]
>but it is still the responsibility of the UA to (at least):
>
>a) recognize ACCESSKEY
>b) provide a well documented method for invoking ACCESSKEY
>c) activate elements invoked via an ACCESSKEY in a well-documented and
>consistent manner
>d) provide a (all together now!) well-documented and consistent mechanism
>whereby conflicting accelerator key combinations can either be passed through
>to the UA or remapped by the UA

Is this the bottom line?  If so, I agree.  I hope it didn't sound as though
I don't agree.

I might try to reword point d) because I am not sure what it means to "pass
conflicting key combinations through to the UA"

Would it suffice to say "When accelerator keys collide, the UA shall
provide a way for the user to activate either action"?

Is the Control-V escape code which lets a Lynx user activate browser
commands when she had been in the text entry mode an example of pass-through?

Al