Re: Proposed rewording of checkpoint on input device independence

At 12:15 PM 10/9/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Although Rich S. has an action item from [1] to propose
>rewording for the checkpoint on input device independence, I'd
>like to submit the following proposal:
>
>Checkpoint 1.1:
>   Ensure that all functionalities offered through
>   the user interface may be operated through all
>   input device APIs supported by the user agent. [Priority 1]

This is the most obvious interpretation of the phrase "device
independence."  That is why I have been concerned about the use of that
phrase in this document.  The ability to do anything with any device may be
beyond the "readily achievable" threshold or any reasonable burden to place
on the UA developer.  The alternative is to require something more
comparable to the media requirements in WCAG: that there exists and
alternative to any device in the actuation of any UI action.  This says
every action must have two, not all, devices available to do it.  Combined
with the requirement that the supported devices employ standard APIs for
device communication gets you to where one device can be eliminated and the
repair is built-in; kill two devices off the available list and it may be
necessary to employ add-on AT to achieve operability.

Al