Re: direct and spatial mapping to functionalities

At 11:55 AM 10/4/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>We seem to have several threads going here. Please let
>me know if I've understood the issues:
>
>1) User agents must support the standard keyboard API because
>   ATs today work via the keyboard API. Therefore, we have
>   a Guideline today to ensure access through the keyboard
>   API to all functionalities. Mouse keys uses the mouse API
>   and therefore support for mouse keys would not satisfy
>   checkpoint 2.1 of the 4 October draft.

To me keyboard API means you get keyboard key codes, mouse API you get
pointing, and mousekey codes. From those the UA does the mapping to the
functionalities i.e you can get an arrow key code (keyboard API) or even
codes for L, R, U, and D keys (left, right, up, down) and use them for
pointing. And I don't think I'm using mouse API at all here, but correct if
I'm wrong.

>2) Users need two types of access to user agent functionalities:
>   serial (with context) and direct (e.g., activated through the
>   keyboard, voice, or mouse). We don't have a checkpoint about
>   this, although I did include prose in the 4 October version of
>   the spec (in the intro) distinguishing types of access.

I don't undestand serial? I think we have spatial mapping with pointing and
direct mapping without pointing. And both are important. It is important
not to be be forced to point because some users have great difficulties
with this. However, it is important to offer memory aids. A graphical UI
and just couple of interaction commands (pointing and clicking on an
object) can provide that. But ofcourse not every graphical UI is good,
there is a lot of design to do.

Marja