Re: Comments on UA Techniques 19990827

Harvey Bingham wrote:

Hi Harvey,

Thank you for the comments. Comments that I've
snipped have been integrated in one way or another.
For the rest, my comments below prefixed with IJ:.

> Comment notation
>      Reference by section.subsection
>      XomitX
>      _insert_
>      ?in question?
>      [hb: reason for change]
>
> 2. No mention of XML family of languages, SMIL Boston,
> even as futures. Suggest that these at least be
> acknowledged.

If we are not to discuss XML at all in the techniques,
I'd rather not mention them. We made the same choice
for WCAG in the end.

> Para 9 As the user agent shifts the point of regard to
> a table, it should first provide information about the
> entire table. This information might be the Caption,
> Title, or Summary information of the table_, or a
> synthesized table summary_. Access to this information
> would allow the user to determine whether or not to
> examine the contents of the table, or to move the
> point of regard to the next block of content.
>
> Para 11 In order to provide access to contextual
> information for individuals using non-graphical
> browsers, or for individuals with certain types of
> learning disabilities, it is necessary for the user
> agent to allow the point of regard to be moved from
> cell to cell, both right/left and up/down via keyboard
> commands. _At the beginnings and ends of rows or columns,
> give warning, before continuing._ ?Where should the
> continuation go? next/prior cell?

I'd rather not go into that much detail. I like the point
about informing the user when a table edge has been reached.

> 3.5.4 Searching
>
> Add bullets for DOM tree walking?
>      * next sibling
>      * prior sibling
>      * parent
>      * end of current element

Why would this go under searching? But I'll add to the
section on Navigation of Document Structure.

> 3.6 Context and orientation
> general question: why are not checkpoint lists in
> ascending order? Is there some attempt to order them
> by priority?

Right now there's no order. However, it's a good idea to
consider some order. I guess numerical is good enough.

> 8.2.3 2nd edit note:  add to list ... keys far apart. ?with regular
> keyboard or specially enlarged one?

I suppose this is regular keyboard, since the need would be less
pressing on a specialized keyboard.

> 3.9.2  Accessible documentation.  Is this the place to mention or link
> to the U.S. Federal requirement for this in August 2000?  I reference
> the EITAAC Report May 12, 1999
>     http:/www.access-board.gov/pubs/eitaacrpt.htm
>
> That has different content than the link to EITAAC on the trace site:
>      Desktop Software Standards in the bibliography:
>
>      http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/eitaac_desktop_software_standards/desktop_so
> http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/eitaac_desktop_software_standards/desktop_softwar
> e_standards.htm

This is a really interesting question. We haven't (I believe) included
any
non-technical policy resources. I see no harm, and it could be useful,
but I wonder what others think.

> 4.1 System conventions
>
> ?Are accesskeys always case insensitive?

HTML defines the value of "accesskey" to be a Unicode character.
Thus, accesskeys are case-sensitive (or rather - case doesn't even
apply).

> 4.1.1 Some guidelines for specific platforms
> ?New JAVA release with better accessibility?

I would love it if someone let me know how to update this
if necessary.

Thanks Harvey!

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814