Re: Action Item: Investigate wording for possible third class agent for conformance section

Response in JRG:

At 03:27 PM 8/31/99 -0500, thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

>David, could you please explain your assertion, quote hpr is setting its
>self in
>the browser/ua arena thereby taking its self out of the umbrella which would
>allow it to fall comfortably into an assistive slot. endquote.
>
>In particular, I can't find the "assistive slot."
>
>I  looked for the definitions of the two categories, "graphical desktop user
>agent" (GDUA) and "dependent user agent" (DUA) in the current working
document.
>I realized (I hope correctly) that definitions are not given, but that the
>terms
>are defined by the checkpoints themselves. I.e., you comply as a DUA (at a
>given
>level ...) if you satisfy all checkpoints (of that level ...) that are not
>specifically GDUA, and conversely, you comply as a GDUA if you satisfy all
>checkpoints not specifically DUA. Is that the intention? What is the assistive
>slot in this context.

JRG: Assistive technology is intended to primarily be concerned with
conforming to DUA.  The label may need to be changed to better reflect that
intention.  Maybe something like "Assistive Access Technology User Agent"
would be a  better label for that sub-group of checkpoints.