Re: some comments on text version of aug 9 guidelines draft

David Poehlman wrote:

> I've attached a document containing comments and commented portions of
> the aug 9 draft <text version> of the ua guidelines for archiving and
> review.

Hi David,

Thank you for the very useful comments. I'm taking into account
almost all of the editorial suggestions. For the comments about
content, my replies below preceded by IJ. Your comments
are preceded by *dp*.

Question 1)

 5.3 Allow the user to turn on and off rendering of video. [Priority 1]
          Techniques for checkpoint 5.3
          *dp* <question> what is the justification for this?

 IJ: I believe that the idea here is that video may be distracting
     and that some users may want to turn it off. There may also
     be bandwidth issues and one would want to turn off video in order
     to get, say audio or captions more rapidly.

Question 2)

 5.11 Allow the user to turn on and off support for spawned windows.
      [Priority 1]
          *dp* <question>  What happens if a window is not
           spawned and that action predicates something that
           must be done by the user such as filling a form?

  IJ: I agree that could be a problem, but the same might be
      said for scripts that are turned off but that perform
      some vital function. Authors shouldn't write pages that
      way.

      I've just written a proposal to delete this checkpoint
      in any case since I believe it's intention is covered
      by a later checkpoint. Refer to [1]

      [1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0185.html

Question 3)
   5.12 Allow the user to turn on and off rendering of frames. [Priority
2]
       *dp* <question> similar to above?

    IJ: Refer to issue 76 [2]

        [2]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#76

Question 4)
   5.13 Allow the user to turn on and off author-specified page forwards
          that occur after a time delay and without user intervention.
          [Priority 3]
          For example, when turned off, offer a static link to the
target
          resource instead.
          *dp* <question> is this not a wcad issue with
          regard to what is rendered or can the ua make this call?

   IJ: I believe that it's a UA issue.

Question 5)

   10.3 Allow the user to configure the user agent for notification of
          certain types of document changes only. [Priority 3]
          *dp* <Lang>  This is unsettling to me.  I feel it should be
differently put because it doesn't convey exactly what is meant or what
I percieve it to mean.  I'd like this to allow me to have the
opportunity to pick one or several from a list of things I want to be
notified about? It has something to do with the word only.

    IJ: I see your point. What about something like this:

    Allow the user to configure the user agent for notification
    of specific types of changes from a predefined set.

Thanks again David,

 _ Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814